Wednesday, September 21, 2016

WOW Wednesday IV

Today's featured quilt on WOW Wednesday is Hampton.  Paula designed it using her collection North Hampton from Marcus Fabrics.  Our BOM Hampton Ridge was such a success with the fabric collection of the same name, that Paula decided to design a second collection with similar colors and that was North Hampton. The quilt measures 86" x 100", so it is a very good size for most beds.


The colorful blocks remind me of sunflowers and the beautiful red and blue stripe is perfect for a mitered border. I apologize that the only picture of the quilt is actually from when the quilt top was finished and ready to head off to the quilter!  The beautiful custom quilting on this quilt was done by Cathy and Lynn of Palm Tree Quilting.


You may recognize this picture - I used it by mistake when I shared Kennesaw Mtn.


The Hampton pattern and kit are both available on our website:
                Hampton pattern                        Hampton kit
 
Did you know that all of our patterns feature a story on the back of the pattern?  All of our pattern names are historical and based on people, places or events from the 1800's.  The story for Hampton tells of the USS Monitor, one of three ironclad ships commissioned by the Union Navy and the Virginia, a Confederate ironclad and their battle at Hampton Roads.  When Paula lectures at quilt guilds, she shares the quilts and their stories.

Today I have been very busy - I'm packing for our retreat this weekend at Camp Blanding.  I've been looking forward to this weekend for weeks.  I don't think there's anything better than time spent with friends, doing what you love to do!!  I think all of my projects are packed (I always bring more than there's hope of actually getting done, but you have to be prepared).  Next up are my sewing supplies and clothes!  Food is a very important item for us, so we have our meals planned.  We each take turns providing a meal for our group.  I've also packed my snacks!  I hit Walmart today with the intention of just picking up a few things, but somehow all sorts of goodies jumped into my cart!  I love candy corn (and it has to be Brach's) and thought maybe I could pick up a bag that I could share.  Well, let's just say all they had was a 3lb bag - yes, that is a lot of candy corn, but I really do intend to share!

Phyllis and I are traveling together and should head out with a very full car - chairs, sewing machines, sewing tables, tables, projects, supplies and 1 large bag of candy corn! I'll take some pictures while I'm there and share when I get back home.

While I've been preparing for the retreat, Paula has been getting ready for her trip to Oxford, Mississippi - home of Ole Miss.  She's going with Amy and Alex to see Ole Miss play Georgia.  Who's she rooting for you ask?  Why Georgia, of course!  She has been planning for this weekend for at least a year and she couldn't be happier!  Paula loves college football, particularly the SEC.  I just hope that the Dawgs can bring in a win for her - the icing on a perfect dream weekend! Hopefully I'll have some pictures of this event to share too.

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen

1 comment:

  1. I wish the fabric was available. It's very pretty. I'm shopping for Paula Barns fabric today.

    ReplyDelete