Wednesday, September 14, 2016

WOW Wednesday III

I can't believe that another week has gone by and it's WOW Wednesday again!  Time flies when you are having fun.  Today's feature quilt is Union Tents and it is one of our smaller, non-square quilts.  It measures 40"x46" and is pieced using 10"x10" squares, 1 background fabric and a border fabric.  There are enough squares in the one packet you need for piecing the top to also piece the backing.  The Union Tents quilt is made using a template that is included in the Union Tents pattern.


Union Tents features Paula's Historical Stripes collection from Marcus Fabrics. We are often asked how to use stripes in a quilt and this quilt is a perfect example.  Stripes work well in blocks, as backgrounds and always as a beautiful border (that screams miter me!). The collection features both bold and muted stripes. I will admit that I had to force myself to not fussy cut the stripes.  I desperately wanted to center the stripes in that template every time I made a cut with my rotary cutter, Paula requested they I leave behind my need to fussy cut and I did, but it was tough!

This quilt was also custom quilted by Marcella from Crooked Creek Quilts in Greenwood, Arkansas. It's often hard to see the quilting, so I've included a picture of the quilting from the back of the quilt.




A diagram for piecing the backing is also included in the pattern. This picture will also give you a good picture of some of the stripe fabrics that are included in the packet of 10"x10" squares. Kits are still available for this beautiful quilt.  Click here:   

We love this pattern so much that we decided to re-do it for Festival and use the Latimer Farms collection. The quilt is done - pieced, quilted, bound and ready to be photographed.  It even got to go on a road trip to TN with Pat, our dear friend that quilted it for us.  We've fallen in love with the tight stipple quilting and Pat will do that on our smaller quilts. She even washes them for us when she's done and they come back to us all soft!  We will have kits for this new version of Union Tents on our website in November.

Pre-Market craziness update - we are crossing all sorts of things off of our "To Do" lists. Tonight I have a beautiful little quilt to finish up and the next one up is in my bin and ready to go!  Be sure to stop by our booth at Market and Festival to see all of our newest quilts.  

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment