Monday, September 5, 2016

Fall Mystery BOW Week 1/Block 1

Welcome to the first week of our Fall Mystery Block of the Week.  We are so excited that so many of you have decided to join us for this program.  Each week for nine weeks, we will share one block of the quilt top.  In week 10, we will share the completed quilt, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. As one of my favorite songs says: "let's start at the very beginning...".  Here is block 1:


Now grab your kit and let's make a block.  The directions for block 1 can be found by clicking on this link:

You will find printable directions, as well as a color picture of the block. These instructions will be remain on the site for at least the duration of the program, so if you can't get to your block this week, or you want to wait and do them all at once, they will still be there. 

Now for those of you that didn't order a kit and are wishing you had, don't panic there are still some kits available.  Order today and you'll have it by the weekend - a perfect time for piecing!  Fall Mystery Block of the Week kit

I took a break from sewing today to go to the movies - I was in need of movie popcorn and Diet Coke - and saw "The Light Between Oceans."  Ladies, grab some friends (and your tissues) and go check out this movie.  It didn't get the highest reviews, but then I tend not to be influenced by reviews.  It is a chick flick and after a summer of so-so movies, this one was wonderful.

On a personal note: I would like to thank everyone who worried about the safety of those in the path of Hermine. As many of you know, I live in St. Petersburg, FL and was quite fortunate to only have to deal with heavy rain (12") and wind. My family is safe, but unfortunately not everyone impacted by Hermine can say that, so please keep these people in your thoughts as they recover from this storm.  Safekeeping to everyone on the East Coast.

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your family is safe ! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this block but I do have a question: did I read the instructions wrong? For E and B cut 3 1/4"? How to I make that fit to the 2 inch Flying Geese block? I'm no expert so I may be looking at this wrong. If so, please forgive me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,
      Please take a minute and reread the instructions. We have you cut B,D,C and E at 3 1/4" because when B and E are pieced together and C and D, they will make 2 triangles.Follow the directions on page 1, under Constructing Block 1. After diagram 3, you are asked to trim your HST's to 2" - this will match your A/F flying geese. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please call us at:
      281 232-2583

      Delete
  3. Reading the instructions thoroughly always helps, doesn't it. I had the 'duh' moment before going to bed last night. Thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to participating in your block of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like to try but I will be behind due to a quilt that must be finished this week. I am retired so it should be ok. Would two fat eighths work for this? Or should I go wth a fat quarter bundle? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all 6 blocks made this week one a day, Your instructions are great. Telling how to trim and press each seam. Each one is a perfect 6 1/2 inch. Thanks for sharing your patterns,

    ReplyDelete