Monday, July 6, 2015

Vacation Destination #1 - DONE

We left last Wednesday for our month of travel and our first destination was Louisville, KY - home of daughter #1, Megan and her fiance Brian.  Megan celebrated a big birthday (the big 4-0) on Thursday, so we combined that with 4th of July celebrations. They have also just bought a new (old - 1910) home in The Highlands and we got to hear their remodeling plans.  The house was really move-in ready and just needs some personal redecorating touches and oh yeah - a new kitchen!!  Daughter #2 - Caitlin (who lives in Tampa), was also here for a visit, so all-in-all a good visit. Here's a picture of the detail in the hardwood floors (excuse the wine bottles, but the best picture was near the wine rack!). Can't wait to see them refinished.

Birthday dinner was celebrated at Jack Fry's and my only concern - when can I go back???  All the menu choices looked so good that making my final selection was truly difficult, so I'm going to have to revisit so I can check out some of the other items.  Food and drink is always high on our list for Louisville -the options are really incredible and we rarely ever eat at a chain restaurant. The bigger problem is with so many options, we don't often get to revisit places we like - there's always something new to try.  

We relaxed around the house/pool on Saturday and I even did some sewing.  I have all the fabrics with me for the 2nd BOM quilt that we use to test the pattern, so as Paula writes the pattern, I can cut, stitch and edit.  Here's a sneak peek of the fabrics for Latimer Farms month 1 and here's my view of the pool from my sewing machine.  I'm not a big "just sit in the sun" person, so I enjoyed the poolside view AND finished 2 baby quilts and block one of Latimer Farms!!



Louisville is known for their gigantic fireworks display that is part of Derby Week festivities. Thunder Over Louisville takes place on the banks of the Ohio River near downtown Louisville.  They used the same location for their 4th of July fireworks.  We watched from the Big Four Bridge - a walk way bridge over the Ohio River to Indiana - and had a fantastic view.  The bridge was also lit up for the occasion.  I just love fireworks, especially that sulfur smell!!

Sunday was a big day for our son's family.  They couldn't make the trip to Louisville because their 2 daughters were in a friend's wedding.  They are also going to be in Megan and Brian's wedding in April, so this was good practice! Here's one of the many pictures of the two of them. I hope you don't mind if I brag, but I think they look absolutely beautiful!

I hope many of you spent Sunday evening glued to a TV set as we watched the USWNT beat Japan in the World Cup Final.  Wow - what an exciting game!  Caitlin has played soccer since she was 7, so it was great to have her commentary.  We enjoyed the game on a big screen at the Hilltop Tavern and consumed massive amounts of cheese related food - mac and cheese fritters, pretzels and beer cheese, grilled cheese and just plain mac and cheese.  All were quite yummy.  Today I played good mother and made some drapes to cover all the "bar" items in this cabinet. Rumor has it that roman shades are next out of the remaining fabric.

Tomorrow we head to Appomattox,VA for an overnight visit with our dear friend Cindy.  Cindy worked at Red Crinoline Quilts and has just recently left Texas to move back and build a home on land that has been in her husband Joe's family.  I can't wait to see the progress on their house.  Facebook pictures are good, but it will be nice to see it in person.

Big doings on the Red Crinoline Quilts website tomorrow - Six Sensational Days of Savings!  Yes, we are having a sale.  Tuesday, July 7-Sunday, July 12 - all kits and patterns will be 25% off and our onesie/twosie kits (very low inventory) will be 30% off.  The website will reflect the sale prices. Shop early to get the best selection!! 

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love love love your fabric selection!! Your girls look so happy. Who enjoys a wedding more than young girls who seem to adore the Bride.:-)

    ReplyDelete