Saturday, June 28, 2014

Busy Week

Busy week, to say the least!!  Peter has been off teaching in Ticonderoga, NY and I've been working through my very long "To Do" list so we can get ready to leave for a 3 week visit to New York on Sunday.  I'm looking forward to days of family, fun and hopefully cool and low humidity days!!  Between my traveling and Peter's traveling, it will be the longest we've been together in months!  This could prove to be very interesting.

Paula and I had a fabulous time at the Country Sampler in Spring Green, Wisconsin.  Paula was invited to teach as part of Jeanne Horton's "Grand Old Flag Gathering". Carol Hopkins of Civil War Legacies and Linda from Chessie and Me were also there as teachers and I was there as "tag-along." Click on the Gathering link for Jeanne's blog and more info and photos.
The shop is downstairs and upstairs is a retreat center that is available for visitors.

Personally, I was absolutely blown away by both Jeanne and her store.  She has an incredible flair for color, style, decorating,etc. and on top of it, she's a fantastic person.  I could have just taken up residence in her home (yes, we got to stay there!!) or her shop.  And thanks to both Paula and Jeanne, I am now watching "Fixer Upper" on HGTV!  Just what I need, another show to add to my DVR list!  I also think it would be in HGTV's best interest if they did a series with Paula and Jeanne - just saying!  Here's a couple of pictures of the inside of the store. No captions needed here, just this beautiful store!  In case you are wondering, yes a couple of the kits and decorating items you see in the pictures did make it home in the two big boxes that Paula and I shipped from Spring Green.  Thank heavens for UPS!!





We both arrived in Madison on Saturday so we would have time to do a little quilt shop sightseeing.  Our shopping focus was fabric for our Lucy Boston blocks.  Needless to say, we came home with a lot of great stripes!  Saturday afternoon we spent some time in JJ Stitches in Sun Prairie.  Unfortunately owner Julie was away at a quilt show, but we did visit with the lovely ladies in the shop.  And of course, I did forget to take a picture!!  And as luck would have it, right across the street from our hotel was a Texas Roadhouse - our go-to place for dinner.

Sunday found us visiting Life's A Stitch in Janesville.  Pat Riley, the owner, was there, so we got to spend some time chatting with her and checking out her great store that is in an old farmhouse.  We added to our pile of potential Lucy Boston fabric too. Then it was on to Spring Green for set-up for The Gathering.


Tuesday or Wednesday (honestly can't remember), Connie and Mary Baker from Country Threads (Iowa) stopped by on their way to the International Quilt Festival in Chicago.  They were vending there.  Wish I could have gone just so I could hang out in their booth for awhile.  Probably would have meant at least another big box or two being shipped home!! 

One of the ladies attending (of course I didn't get her name - so sorry) shared the quilt she made this past year using the pattern (Second Hand Clothes) she got as a door prize from Paula and the bundle she got from Jeanne at last year's Gathering.  It's a beauty and luckily she put it away or it would have ended up in my big box!!!  I think Second Hand Clothes is one of my favorite patterns.  I am always amazed how beautiful it looks in any fabric - complete collection, scrappy, batiks, baby, anything!!


Just a reminder about the Marcus Fabrics Friends and Companions Sew-Along.  Check on the link for complete details.  We have already taken a number of orders for the kits, so if you are interested check out our website. Kits are available as just fabric for the quilt top or with the backing also. The "out of stock" note that was on one of the kits has been fixed - all kits are available!!  I was able to ship just a few kits before I leave, but the remainder will ship out the week of July 21st.  You will have them way before the first blog posting (August 1st)And in case you were wondering, we will not run your PayPal charge until we actually ship the kit!!

Well the car is packed - sewing machine, sewing table, sewing projects, golf clubs, Peter's bike (did I forget to tell you one of the weeks is the Erie Canal Bike Ride from Buffalo to Albany), and of course, clothes.  In case you were wondering, there is no way I will be riding any bike. I am Peter's driver, so I get to follow along the route the riders are taking and participate in any tours or visits they make along the way.  I will also be participating in my own visits - quilt stores, outlet centers, to name a few!!  I'm there in case he needs a ride!!

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you two have been having entirely too much fun! LOL take care friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved spending Grande Old Flag week with you and Paula and Jeanne and all the shop girls. We had such a good time.Kathy Decker from Wisconsin made that beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete